Friday, September 16, 2011

Life Changes....

so the big news in my life is that I have gone back to teaching full time.

This is a bittersweet time for me.

It means a lot less time at the studio but I am still doing some shows this fall that I had signed up for in the spring. on the bright side, the transition back to teaching has been 100x better than I ever could have imagined. I was home for 10 years raising my 3 kids, and could not imagine how I was going to make that leap back to full time teaching. But leap I did and landed in an amazing district, with wonderful students and a welcoming staff.

I also happen to teach an amazing population of kids - ELL's...English Language Learners - children who speak a language other than English at home - and no, I do not know a million other languages. They get all of their instruction in English!

Yesterday I came across a NYTimes article that really puts their experiences in perspective - My Families Experiment in extreme schooling. I shared this with the staff at my school in hopes of enlightening them a bit more to the plight of our newest arrivals. The feedback I got from the staff was heartwarming and confirmed I have made the right decision to step back into teaching.

As for my sewing....I will be heading to the studio tomorrow - filing some orders for etsy, dusting off the machines and playing with my fabrics again. I madly made 100+ new pieces this summer so be on the lookout for those to start popping up in my etsy shop or as special offers on my facebook fanpage!

0 comments: